Saturday, December 18, 2010

Movie Review of Cry Baby (1990)




A sensation appears, and liking or disliking begins. This fleeting moment, if we are unaware of it, is repeated and intensified into craving and aversion, becoming a strong emotion that eventually overpowers the conscious mind. We become caught up in the emotion, and all our better judgement is swept aside. The result is that we find ourselves engaged in unwholesome speech and action, harming ourselves and others. We create misery for ourselves, suffering now and in the future, because of one moment of blind reaction.
- S. N. Goenka, The Art of Living


Parodies are usually good in that they trick us into seeing things differently. This film pokes fun at Jailhouse Rock, West Side Story, Rock Around the Clock, Grease and others. This movie is a silly piece of fluff that makes you laugh out loud and squirm uncomfortably at the same time.

Johnny Depp is the perfect heart-throb Cry Baby. Amy Locane (Allison) is the squeaky clean girl tempted to run with the bad crowd. Kim McGuire is downright disturbing as Hatchet-face. A good movie to watch when you just want a diversion.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this movie I think millions of times! It's definitely one of those that never gets old in my opinion. I only have it on VHS tho with no VCR so when I saw that one glorious day it came on TV I made sure to record it to my DVR. Also lucky for me since I subscribe and work with DISH Network I have their Sling Adapter and DISH Remote Access so I'm able watch this movie on my phone whenever and wherever I want! I think I literally now watch this movie at least once a week and still can't get enough of it! So glad the Sling Adapter was free http://bit.ly/jizbUh. :)

    ReplyDelete